Sorrow Of The Sorrowful

I will never know the extent of pain another individual is experiencing.  I will not be able to comprehend it even though I think I know what pain means academically.  For me to say 'Yes, I understand' is not a true statement.

I may be able to relate to the feeling but does my perception do?  What I feel is empathy.  Empathy is not the same as feeling the pain.  As is, when a person says he or she is in pain, it can be more than just the physical sensation.  It is also emotional, mental and even spiritual.

It is a fact that I may not truly grasp the full extent and intensity of the pain others feel.  And, I will never do.  It shall be my ego intellect that thinks I understand it.

Emotions are personal.  Two people who are feeling hurt, for example, experience hurt differently.  Two people going through grief react in two different manners.  Two sorrowful individuals have varied levels of sorrow.

Instead of saying 'Yes, I understand and feel you', I should say 'I hear you'.  And while I want to hear him or her, I must not impose nor should I judge.  As Rumi says 'Listen with ears of tolerance.  See through the eyes of compassion.  Speak with the language of love'.

I love you.  I am sorry.  Please forgive me.  Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle In The Sand

Stop Complaining

Learn To Value Yourself